Back of the House
Last Exit, Dubai, UAE
Reports to the Sous Chef and works with other line chefs to produce quality food following the standards and procedures.
Duties and responsibilities
- To supply the highest level of customer care and service whether in the public eye or in the back areas.
- To prepare, cook and serve any food delegated as your responsibility ensuring that the highest possible quality is maintained and that agreed standards for food preparation and presentation are met at all times.
- To adhere to company procedures in regards to temperature checks, food labeling and dating, cleaning schedules and hygiene regulations at all times and ensuring that all records of such are updated and kept.
- To assist with the acceptance and storage of deliveries and that all-relevant company procedures are adhered to.
- To ensure and maintain work area clean, hygienic and tidy state at all times.
- To wear the full and correct uniform at all times whether on the public eye or back areas.
- To have an understanding of menu planning, writing and the implementation of stock controls and how this enables the kitchen to meet Gross Profit %.
- To be familiar with the opening and closing procedures of the kitchen and carry them out as rotated.
- To assist and ensure the junior chefs carry out daily and weekly procedures including temperature checks, food labeling/dating and storage and to ensure records of such are up to date.
- To ensure that temperature checks are carried out a minimum of 5 times per day and recorded.
- To recognize the importance of good stock management/control and it’s importance in the kitchen meeting its Gross Profit %.
- To remove any hazards and make safe any defects in the kitchen or equipment and report any problems to the Senior Chef on duty.
Education: Equivalent education preferred or diplomas in professional cookery.
Experience Required: Minimum one year serving experience required.
Skills and abilities
- Able to speak, read, write, and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Able to learn and perform all essential job functions accurately and safely.
- Knowledge of the menu and beverage list and the ability to communicate clear suggestions to the guests.
- Auditory and visual abilities to observe and detect signs of emergency situations.
- Regular attendance in conformance with the company’s standards.
- Due to the cyclical nature of the industry, Employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the property.
- Upon employment, all Employees are required to fully comply with the company’s rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the facilities. Employees who violate organisation’s rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action that may lead to termination of employment.
- Respond quickly and properly in any Restaurant emergency situation.
- Maintain an alert and attentive demeanor at all times in addition to remaining calm during periods of heavy business volumes.
- The ability to perform other tasks or project as assigned by the Management.
Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature is moderated and controlled by facility environmental systems.
- Able to stand and exert well-paced mobility for an extended period of time.
- Able to lift up to 25lbs. and on a regular and continuing basis.
- Able to bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, pull, twist, walk, crouch, squat and stretch to fulfill tasks.
- Manual dexterity required to use and operate all necessary equipment.
- Talking, hearing and seeing (vision) occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, Supervisors and other Employees.
Intent & Function of the job description
All descriptions have been reviewed to ensure that only essential functions and basic duties have been included. Peripheral tasks, only incidentally related to each position, have been excluded. Requirements, skills, and abilities included have been determined to be the minimal standards required to successfully perform the positions. In no instance, however, should the duties, responsibilities, and requirements delineated be interpreted as all-inclusive. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by Supervisors as deemed appropriate.