Back of the House
Coordinates activities of and directs indoctrination and training of Chefs; Cooks and other kitchen workers engaged in preparing and cooking foods in hotels or restaurants to ensure an efficient and profitable food service.
Duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for the supervision and coordination of activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
- Observes workers and work procedures to ensure compliance with established standards.
- Evaluates and solves procedural problems to ensure safe and efficient operations.
- Inspects supplies, equipment and work areas to ensure conformance to established standards.
- Determines production schedules and worker-time requirements to ensure timely delivery of services.
- Estimates amounts and costs and requisitions supplies and equipment to ensure efficient operation.
- Records production and operational data on specified forms.
- Monitors sanitation practices to ensure that employees follow standards and regulations.
- Instruct all staff in the preparation, cooking, garnishing, and presentation of food.
- To ensure all menus are constantly updated, paying special attention to seasonal availability.
- To handle all manpower requirements with regards to hiring and recruitment.
Education: Masters in culinary art’s
Experience Required: Minimum of ten years experience required in the same post.
Skills and abilities
- Able to speak, read, write, and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Able to learn and perform all essential job functions accurately and safely.
- Knowledge of the menu and beverage list and the ability to communicate clear suggestions to the guests.
- Auditory and visual abilities to observe and detect signs of emergency situations.
- Regular attendance in conformance with the company’s standards.
- Due to the cyclical nature of the industry, Employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the property.
- Upon employment, all Employees are required to fully comply with Company’s rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the facilities. Employees who violate organization’s rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action that may lead to termination of employment.
- Respond quickly and properly in any Restaurant emergency situation.
- Maintain an alert and attentive demeanor at all times in addition to remaining calm during periods of heavy business volumes.
- The ability to perform other tasks or project as assigned by the Management.
Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature is moderated and controlled by facility environmental systems.
- Able to stand and exert well-paced mobility for an extended period of time.
- Able to lift up to 25lbs. and on a regular and continuing basis.
- Able to bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, pull, twist, walk, crouch, squat and stretch to fulfill tasks.
- Manual dexterity required to use and operate all necessary equipment.
- Talking, hearing and seeing (vision) occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, Supervisors and other Employees.
Intent & Function of the job description
All descriptions have been reviewed to ensure that only essential functions and basic duties have been included. Peripheral tasks, only incidentally related to each position, have been excluded. Requirements, skills, and abilities included have been determined to be the minimal standards required to successfully perform the positions. In no instance, however, should the duties, responsibilities, and requirements delineated be interpreted as all-inclusive. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by Supervisors as deemed appropriate.