Back of the House
23rd June, 2019
Assists in the preparation of desserts, pastries, confections, and ice cream.
Duties and responsibilities
- Fashions table and pastry decorations, such as statuaries and ornaments, from sugar paste and icings, using cream bag, spatula, and various decorating tools.
- Rolls and shapes dough, using rolling pin and cuts dough in uniform portions with knife, divider, and cookie cutter.
- Measures and mixes ingredients, such as flour, flavoring, and fruit, to form concoctions.
- Shapes dough for cookies, pies, and fancy pastries, using pie dough roller and cookie cutters or by hand.
- Mixes and cooks pie fillings, and pours fillings into pie shells and tops filling with meringue or cream.
- Turns oven controls to regulate temperatures and to set time cycle for baking products.
- Decorates products with icing designs, using spatula and cream bag.
- Operate and monitor baking equipment and temperature to control appearance of products.
- Covers filling with top crust; places pies in oven; and adjust drafts or thermostatic controls to regulate oven temperatures.
- Mixes ingredients to make icings, decorates cakes and pastries, and blends colors for icings, shaped ornaments, and statuaries.
- Check and maintain the cleanliness of equipment and utensils to make sure health and safety regulations are met.
Education: High school or equivalent culinary education preferred.
Experience Required: Minimum one year serving experience required.
Skills and abilities
- Able to speak, read, write, and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Able to learn and perform all essential job functions accurately and safely.
- Knowledge of the menu and beverage list and the ability to communicate clear suggestions to the guests.
- Auditory and visual abilities to observe and detect signs of emergency situations.
- Regular attendance in conformance with the company’s standards.
- Due to the cyclical nature of the industry, Employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the property.
- Upon employment, all Employees are required to fully comply with Company’s rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the facilities. Employees who violate organization’s rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action that may lead to termination of employment.
- Respond quickly and properly in any Restaurant emergency situation.
- Maintain an alert and attentive demeanor at all times in addition to remaining calm during periods of heavy business volumes.
- The ability to perform other tasks or project as assigned by the Management.
Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature is moderated and controlled by facility environmental systems.
- Able to stand and exert well-paced mobility for an extended period of time.
- Able to lift up to 25lbs. and on a regular and continuing basis.
- Able to bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, pull, twist, walk, crouch, squat and stretch to fulfill tasks.
- Manual dexterity required to use and operate all necessary equipment.
- Talking, hearing and seeing (vision) occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, Supervisors and other Employees.